[BL] simple question about shell
Terry Maiden
2012-06-11 20:47:42 UTC
I have a few simple questions about shells. When I start up BL it starts a shell. At the shell prompt I type in "startx" so X runs in the initial shell. When X comes up I sometimes open a window with a shell prompt in it. Is this the same shell or another? Two shells running at this point? Say I then start LINKS-0.95. There is an option in LINKS to open another command window, another shell? Three shells running?
sindi keesan
2012-06-11 21:31:51 UTC
Post by Terry Maiden
I have a few simple questions about shells. When I start up BL it
starts a shell. At the shell prompt I type in "startx" so X runs in the
initial shell. When X comes up I sometimes open a window with a shell
prompt in it. Is this the same shell or another? Two shells running at
this point? Say I then start LINKS-0.95. There is an option in LINKS
to open another command window, another shell? Three shells running?
You are opening an xterm or rxvt pseudoterminal inside X.
Instead of doing this, you can type Alt-F2 to get a second terminal.
Ctrl-alt-F5 will bring back X. Links does not need X unless you download
and install the graphical version that Steven compiled and type links -g.

Sindi
l***@dea.spamcon.org
2012-06-11 22:15:28 UTC
Message from Steven
===================
Post by Terry Maiden
Three shells running?
Yes, you can run many shells at once.
I suggest you execute the ps command
and you will see all the processes
currently running. Some of them will
be shells.

Cheers,
Steven
Terry Maiden
2012-06-12 01:48:03 UTC
Ah, the "ps" command. I knew there was such a command but its been so long since I took the UNIX/Linux course at the Community college I couldn't remember what it was.
Subject: Re: [BL] simple question about shell
Date: Monday, June 11, 2012, 5:15 PM
Message from Steven