[BL] ifconfig illegal instruction on 386ex
Tomasz Grabowski
2014-04-16 08:08:14 UTC
yesterday I installed BasicLinux 3.5 on my AMD 386SX 40MHz, 4MB RAM. Module
of my 3c509 is properly loaded, but I have problem (Illegal instruction)
with all BusyBox commands related to TCP/IP stack (ifconfig, route, ping,
etc.).

Is available any BasicLinux image, with BusyLinux 386 compatibility?

Best regards,
Tomek
sindi keesan
2014-04-16 13:32:57 UTC
You could try a later busybox. http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl has three
choices of busybox 1.3.2 which I compiled myself at least 7 years ago.
The smaller ones I think include fewer commands.

I had some version of BL working on a 386 laptop once but not online.

A search finds that many people have had illegal instruction problems with
busybox commands. In one case where ifconfig did not work, a later
version helped.

Have you tried using Slackware 4 ifconfig, route, ping, etc.?
Hi,
Sindi Keesan
Tomasz Grabowski
2014-04-17 07:59:05 UTC
I tried busybox-1.3.2-default from your repo, but the result is the same as
original busybox :(

Today, I will try Slackware 4 binaries.

Best regards,
Tomek Grabowski
Post by Tomasz Grabowski
yesterday I installed BasicLinux 3.5 on my AMD 386SX 40MHz, 4MB RAM. Module
of my 3c509 is properly loaded, but I have problem (Illegal instruction)
with all BusyBox commands related to TCP/IP stack (ifconfig, route, ping,
etc.).
Is available any BasicLinux image, with BusyLinux 386 compatibility?
Best regards,
Tomek
Sindi Keesan
Pozdrawiam,
Tomasz Grabowski
sindi keesan
2014-04-22 03:17:02 UTC
Hi,
Post by sindi keesan
Have you tried using Slackware 4 ifconfig, route, ping, etc.?
Did SW 4 work better?
Sindi
Tomasz Grabowski
2014-04-30 19:12:17 UTC
Hello,
Slackware 4 binary ifconfig, route and ping works without problem on 386SX.
Today, I tried this same: HDD and ethernet card (3c509) on another vintage
PC: Pentium 60MHz. Pentium had no problems with Busybox.

Next week I'll try 386DX.

Best regards,
Tomasz Grabowski
Post by sindi keesan
Hi,
Tomasz Grabowski
sindi keesan
2014-04-30 19:30:20 UTC
Post by Tomasz Grabowski
Hello,
Slackware 4 binary ifconfig, route and ping works without problem on 386SX.
Today, I tried this same: HDD and ethernet card (3c509) on another vintage
PC: Pentium 60MHz. Pentium had no problems with Busybox.
Next week I'll try 386DX.
Best regards,
Tomasz Grabowski
Busybox had to leave out some things to stay small, maybe including
support for 386. Glad you found something that works. Sindi