[BL] search engines for BL
sindi keesan
2012-02-25 19:04:48 UTC
Scroogle Scraper is gone. It used to strip stuff from Google that
kept track of your browsing habits. Google got mad at it.

Duckduckgo is another search engine that does not keep track of you.
http://www.duckduckgo.com works well in lynx. (lynx duckduckgo)
The search page looks very small and simple and loads quickly.

If used in Opera 9.63, clicking on a search result does nothing.
It works with Seamonkey 1.1.19 and Firefox 2 from DSL linux.

I examined the source code (very big and complicated looking, lots of css
and javascript), which said if you had a non-javascript browser to use
http://www.duckduckgo.com/html, which does work. (Though the URL without
'/html' does not work well enough in the older Opera to tell you to go to
the URL which does work).

The search pages with and without '/html' look similar but the source code
for them does not.

In lynx or links2, the page without '/html' gives you duckduckgo lite
(seems to be different from what opera fetched), and the other duckduckgo
html. Both work but there is no 'submit' link (it is blank) for links2
and '/html'.

http://www.duckduckgo.com/lite works with lynx (2.8.8), links2, opera 9
and seamonkey 1.

What other search engines do people use with BL and older browsers?

Sindi Keesan
Ron Clarke
2012-02-25 22:00:48 UTC
Hi folks,
Post by sindi keesan
What other search engines do people use with BL and older browsers?
You can use any browser and any search engine if you empty your cookie
jar regularly.

Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser - http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 7, 8, 95, 98 or 2000.
sindi keesan
2012-02-25 23:04:53 UTC
Post by Ron Clarke
Hi folks,
Post by sindi keesan
What other search engines do people use with BL and older browsers?
You can use any browser and any search engine if you empty your cookie
jar regularly.
I just set Opera to ask me about cookies and it ignores them at the sites
I have been to. I have not found any easy way to delete all cookies
(except probably with rm). Seamonkey can be set to only accept cookies
from selected sites.

duckduckgo is the first search engine I have run into that did not work
with Opera.
Post by Ron Clarke
Ron
Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser - http://www.glennmcc.org/
Are you still using Arachne (in DOS)?
Sindi
Ron Clarke
2012-02-26 00:33:40 UTC
Hi Folks,
Post by Ron Clarke
You can use any browser and any search engine if you empty your cookie
jar regularly.
I have not found any easy way to delete all cookies (except probably
with rm).
There you go ! :)
Are you still using Arachne (in DOS)?
Yes. And Dillo, Links, Elinks, Lynx, Doslynx - all in DOS.

sindi keesan
2012-02-26 01:03:51 UTC
Post by Ron Clarke
Hi Folks,
Post by Ron Clarke
You can use any browser and any search engine if you empty your cookie
jar regularly.
I have not found any easy way to delete all cookies (except probably
with rm).
There you go ! :)
Are you still using Arachne (in DOS)?
Yes. And Dillo, Links, Elinks, Lynx, Doslynx - all in DOS.
Ron
What version of lynx in DOS? Who compiled all of these?
Sindi
Ron Clarke
2012-02-26 03:15:53 UTC
Hi Sindi,
Post by sindi keesan
Post by Ron Clarke
Post by sindi keesan
Are you still using Arachne (in DOS)?
Yes. And Dillo, Links, Elinks, Lynx, Doslynx - all in DOS.
What version of lynx in DOS?
Lynx - Lynx386 version 2.8.5rel.1 for DOS
- http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/
Post by sindi keesan
Who compiled all of these?
Links and Elinks - Mik
http://www.ausreg.com/dos_ports/index.htm

Doslynx - Fred Mcall
http://users.ohiohills.com/fmacall/

Dillo - Georg Pottharst (from the Windows port by Ben Johnson)

http://code.google.com/p/nanox-microwindows-nxlib-fltk-for-dos/downloads/list

sindi keesan
Ron
Ron Clarke
2012-02-26 12:32:34 UTC
Hi Sindi,
Post by sindi keesan
Doug Kaufman is the one who helped me compile lynx for BL.
Yes, I know.
Post by sindi keesan
Do you prefer any one of these DOS browsers?
I use all of them, except Doslynx, for specific purposes. But Arachne
is what I use most of the time. And I have only just started to test
Doslynx.

Lynx, Links and Elinks are good for SSL. Links -g and Dillo are
graphical. Lynx is super-fast. Links and Elinks can download several
files in background while still surfing, and can resume broken
downloads.

But Arachne is more versatile.