[BL] Entering hard disk
Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-17 20:40:56 UTC
Hello Basic Linux team;

How can you enter the hard disk in the graphical file brouwser? I really want to enter it, so I can use Basic Linux as a rescue OS.

Another question; has Basic Linux a logo? I want to write an article about floppy OSes and I need a logo to make labels to print and paste on the floppy.

I really like your OS, because everything goes blazingly fast. Instead of Windows, I never have to wait to do something in Basic Linux.

Cheers;
Dennis
l***@dea.spamcon.org
2013-01-17 21:17:25 UTC
Message from Steven
===================
Dennis wrote:

> How can you enter the hard disk in the graphical
> file brouwser?

First, make sure the hard disk you wish to access
is mounted somewhere within your current filesystem.
Then use the browser to move up (or down) the
directory tree to wherever the mountpoint is.
By the way, to get the browser to look at the
local filesystem, press g (to open up the go bar),
type a . in the bar and press ENTER.

Cheers,
Steven
Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-18 15:40:55 UTC
And how do I mount it?

Harry Prevor
2013-01-18 16:35:31 UTC
On 1/18/13, Dennis Holierhoek <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> And how do I mount it?

Type "mount /dev/sd<Y><X> /path/to/mountpoint" in a terminal as root, where:

<Y> is the hard drive letter, typically "a".
<X> is the parition number, typically "1".
/path/to/mountpoint is an empty folder where you want to mount the
drive, typically /mnt/usb or similar (make sure the folder exists
first).

Harry Prevor
sindi keesan
2013-01-18 17:15:06 UTC
hd not sd - BL does not handle SATA hard drives

mount /dev/hda1 /hd in BL, where you can mount to /hd /mnt /cd or /fd
(or make new mount points yourself)

Sindi Keesan
Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-18 19:35:20 UTC
When I typ;
mount /dev/hda1
BL says;
Can't find /dev/hda1 in etc/fstab
When I typ;
mount /dev/hda1 /hd
BL says;
VFS; Can't find an ex2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,1).
When I typ;
mount /dev/hda1 /hd /mnt
BL says;
mount; Mounting /dev/hda1 on /hd failed: Device or resource busy
And it says the same when I change 'x' in 'mount /dev/hda1 /hd /'x''

Can you help me out? I don't have really much knowledge in Linux, and this week is the first time I heared about 'mounting'.

sindi keesan
2013-01-18 20:01:09 UTC
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Dennis Holierhoek wrote:

> When I typ;
> mount /dev/hda1
> BL says;
> Can't find /dev/hda1 in etc/fstab

This means you did not tell linux a default of where to mount /dev/hda1 so
you need to specify where to mount it.

> When I typ;
> mount /dev/hda1 /hd
> BL says;
> VFS; Can't find an ex2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,1).

ext2 not ex2

This means that the first partition on your hard drive is not formatted
for linux as ext2.

ide0 (hda) is the master hard drive on the first ide controller cable
(flat ribbon cable that goes between hard drive and motherboard. ide1
ide2 ide3 are the others if you have four drives on two controllers.

If it is a DOS (FAT32) partition
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /hd

vfat is FAT32 (the way the partition is formatted)

If it is an NTFS partition (Windows 2K or later) BL cannot mount it.

> When I typ;
> mount /dev/hda1 /hd /mnt
This does not look correct - you cannot mount one device at two mount
points or maybe it is trying to mount two devices on one mount point or it
is simply meaningless.

> BL says;
> mount; Mounting /dev/hda1 on /hd failed: Device or resource busy
> And it says the same when I change 'x' in 'mount /dev/hda1 /hd /'x''

> Can you help me out? I don't have really much knowledge in Linux, and
> this week is the first time I heared about 'mounting'.

Search on 'linux primer' or 'linux introduction'.

Sindi
Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-18 20:25:15 UTC
I have 1 hard disk with 2 partitions on it. One (the C: drive, yes, I use Windows) is NTFS, the other one (D:) is FAT32. So I should use 'hda2', if I'm right?
Anyway, thanks for your help and patience.
I think I'll design and upload some BL floppy labels on my FB soon, so I can do something back to the BL community :)

Van: sindi keesan
Verz.: 18-01-2013, 21:01
Aan: Basic Linux mailinglijst
Ondrw.: Re: [BL] Entering hard disk

sindi keesan
2013-01-18 20:37:18 UTC
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Dennis Holierhoek wrote:

> I have 1 hard disk with 2 partitions on it. One (the C: drive, yes, I
> use Windows) is NTFS, the other one (D:) is FAT32. So I should use
> 'hda2', if I'm right?

You are right.

mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /hd should mount the D: (FAT32) partition to /hd

(-t vfat = type FAT32)

To see what is on D: (as labelled in DOS or Windows) look at the contents
of /hd with a file manager or

cd /hd
ls -l

(ls -l gives a detailed list of the files and directories in the partition
mounted to /hd)

> Anyway, thanks for your help and patience.
I learned linux from BL with the help and patience of other list members.

> I think I'll design and upload some BL floppy labels on my FB soon, so I
> can do something back to the BL community :)

> Van: sindi keesan
> Verz.: 18-01-2013, 21:01
> Aan: Basic Linux mailinglijst
> Ondrw.: Re: [BL] Entering hard disk

Are you in the Netherlands? Ik sprek geen nederlands. (??)
Sindi
Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-18 20:58:20 UTC
Haha, je kan best goed Nederlands spreken, hoor(your Dutch is quite good) :P
The Dutch data you read means this
'Van' means 'From'
'Verz.' means 'Send'
'Aan' means 'To'
'mailinglijst' means 'mailing list'
'Ondrw.' means 'Subject'
So it's just standard data made by the e-mail client.
Where are you from? Germany? Poland?

Terry Maiden
2013-01-18 23:42:07 UTC
BL is a nice little implementation to work with in a general way but lets be honest, for system recovery on newer computers there are better choices out there.  There are implementations that have the software to handle NTFS drives.  Look for something newer than BL.

Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-19 12:55:44 UTC
Terry, you're right. But I'm just searching for good floppy disk OSes to write an article about and I want to explain people how you work with them.
Have you ever tried Kolibri OS? It has got a read-only function for NTFS and a read-write function for FAT12/36. And a bunch of stuff, like over 30 games, a text editor, a web brouwser, a table editor, a file download and lots more, on 1 floppy disk!

Dennis
Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-19 13:10:46 UTC
When I typed;
mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /hd
BL says;
mount: Mounting /dev/hda2 on /hd failed
The same happened when I replaced 'hda2' with 'hdb1'

sindi keesan
2013-01-19 14:19:38 UTC
fdisk /dev/hda

This should print to screen a list of all the partitions on your first
hard disk and what type they are.

If you have a second hard drive repeat with hdb.

- for a list of partitions and what type they are

Dennis Holierhoek
2013-01-23 18:04:06 UTC
hda1 is FAT32
hda2 is NTFS