[BL] splitvt not working
monz
2013-01-16 11:09:46 UTC
Hi Sindi,

Thanks for your response.

I had just downloaded and installed bin.tgz from the Slackware 4
repository, so i tried splitvt with this command:

$ TERM=vt100 splitvt

Result: it looked like my screen got split at first, but followed by
an error message, and then a return to the regular prompt and un-split
screen. The error message was:

$ No available pseudo terminals

I googled that and read responses to your question about this
same issue back in 2007, on this list. But I can't figure out
how to make splitvt work. Here is the output on my BasicLinux
computer of this command:

$ ls /dev/pt* /dev/tt*

crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 0 Feb 10 2004 ptyp0
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 1 Feb 10 2004 ptyp1
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 2 Feb 10 2004 ptyp2
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 3 Feb 10 2004 ptyp3
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 4 Feb 10 2004 ptyp4
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 5 Feb 10 2004 ptyp5
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 6 Feb 10 2004 ptyp6
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 7 Feb 10 2004 ptyp7
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 8 Feb 10 2004 ptyp8
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 2, 9 Feb 10 2004 ptyp9
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 5, 0 Jan 16 02:57 tty
crw------- 1 root root 4, 0 Jul 17 1994 tty0
crw------- 1 monz 500 4, 1 Jan 16 02:59 tty1
crw--w--w- 1 root root 4, 2 Jan 3 00:00 tty2
crw--w--w- 1 root root 4, 3 Jan 3 00:00 tty3
crw------- 1 root root 4, 4 Jan 25 2004 tty4
crw------- 1 root root 4, 5 Oct 9 1999 tty5
crw------- 1 root root 4, 6 Oct 9 1999 tty6
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 4, 7 Jul 17 1994 tty7
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 4, 8 Jul 17 1994 tty8
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 4, 64 Mar 5 2004 ttyS0
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 4, 65 Jul 17 1994 ttyS1
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 4, 66 Mar 8 2004 ttyS2
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 4, 67 Jul 17 1994 ttyS3
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 4, 68 Jul 17 1994 ttyS4
crw--w--w- 1 root root 3, 0 Jan 3 18:30 ttyp0
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 1 Jan 3 12:44 ttyp1
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 2 Mar 3 2004 ttyp2
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 3 Mar 3 2004 ttyp3
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 4 Feb 21 2004 ttyp4
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 5 Feb 21 2004 ttyp5
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 6 Feb 21 2004 ttyp6
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 7 Feb 21 2004 ttyp7
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 8 Feb 21 2004 ttyp8
crw-r--r-- 1 root 5 3, 9 Feb 21 2004 ttyp9

-joe monzo
sindi keesan
2013-01-16 12:23:34 UTC
Use it from a real terminal, not X (which uses pseudoterminals like rxvt
or xterm). Just type splitvt without TERM=vt100.

I think it uses vi commands to move cursor.

monz
2013-01-16 14:17:28 UTC
I am trying to use it without X ...
so that would be a "real" terminal.
It doesn't work for me.

If I type splitvt without TERM=vt100, it gives me
an error message that I don't have a vt100 terminal.

-monz

sindi keesan
2013-01-16 14:54:45 UTC
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, monz wrote:

> I am trying to use it without X ...
> so that would be a "real" terminal.
> It doesn't work for me.
>
> If I type splitvt without TERM=vt100, it gives me
> an error message that I don't have a vt100 terminal.

I used splitvt in BL2 - a newer version with a newer libc.
You could try adding glibc from Slackware 8.1 to BL3.

Sindi

monz
2013-01-17 07:51:37 UTC
I'm concerned about screwing up my BL3 by adding glibc from
Slackware 8.1.

What about fixing screen so that it compiles for me? I had
a gcc.tgz package from somewhere which worked, and I replaced
it with the ecgs sysem which I found in the Slackware 4 repo.
Screen required me to install quite a few dependencies, but
when I tried to compile it with ecgs it didn't compile.
I think i'll quote the output of that in my next post.

-monz

sindi keesan
2013-01-17 11:00:28 UTC
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, monz wrote:

> I'm concerned about screwing up my BL3 by adding glibc from
> Slackware 8.1.

It is small - experiment on a second copy in another partition.
Boot with loadlin from DOS.

I think I simply added glibc, which did not replace libc5.

> What about fixing screen so that it compiles for me? I had
> a gcc.tgz package from somewhere which worked, and I replaced
> it with the ecgs sysem which I found in the Slackware 4 repo.
> Screen required me to install quite a few dependencies, but
> when I tried to compile it with ecgs it didn't compile.
> I think i'll quote the output of that in my next post.

I only compiled kermit with BL3 (and help from kermit) long ago.

Try to compile an older version of screen.
The compiler may not handle newer source code.

monz
2013-01-20 22:47:06 UTC
Hi Sindi,

I did finally install glibc from the Slackware4 repository -
it came as two separate packages: glibc1.tgz and glibc2.tgz.

After that I also downloaded the oldest version of Screen
from the GNU website, and still got compile errors.
It tells me that my "sockets and fifo are not useable".

Splitvt still gives the same error as I described before.
Bottom line is, now my BL3 is a lot more bloated and I still
can't split my terminal into different windows. :(

sindi keesan
2013-01-20 23:41:27 UTC
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013, monz wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> I did finally install glibc from the Slackware4 repository -
> it came as two separate packages: glibc1.tgz and glibc2.tgz.
>
> After that I also downloaded the oldest version of Screen
> from the GNU website, and still got compile errors.
> It tells me that my "sockets and fifo are not useable".
>
> Splitvt still gives the same error as I described before.
> Bottom line is, now my BL3 is a lot more bloated and I still
> can't split my terminal into different windows. :(
>
> - monz

Try glibc from Slackware 8.1.
You can uninstall the one from Slackware 4 first.
You can probably just delete all the libraries manually which came in the
packages.
monz
2013-01-21 18:07:49 UTC
How do you uninstall in BL?

-monz

sindi keesan
2013-01-21 20:14:53 UTC
BL3 -
tar -ztvf package.tgz - lists all the files and their paths
delete them all manually

Sindi Keesan
Andriy Romanenko
2013-01-22 20:56:02 UTC

is there an automatic shell script for this job?
sindi keesan
2013-01-22 21:30:06 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, Andriy Romanenko wrote:

>> BL3 -
>> tar -ztvf package.tgz - lists all the files and their paths
>> delete them all manually
>
> is there an automatic shell script for this job?

Not that I know of.

Slackware and BL2 have installpkg and removepkg, and keep a list of what
files were installed where. Steven could probably write a script using
tar and rm but I don't know how.

I set up BL3 in 100MB with lots of useful programs. Keeping lists of
every file installed uses up more space. Zip drives are 100MB - you can
boot to them from a boot floppy with iomega drivers. I can also run BL
from a camera memory card, using a 1-floppy version of it which includes
USB drivers, and view photos (bypassing whatever OS is on the computer).

Sindi Keesan
monz
2013-01-22 12:49:29 UTC
thanks ... somehow i knew it was going to be a lot of work ...

-monz

sindi keesan
2013-01-22 13:07:30 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, monz wrote:

> thanks ... somehow i knew it was going to be a lot of work ...
>
> -monz
>
>> BL3 -
>> tar -ztvf package.tgz - lists all the files and their paths
>> delete them all manually
>>
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, monz wrote:
>>
>>> How do you uninstall in BL?
>>>
>>> -monz

Back up BL3 next time before you make changes.

Or have a test copy that you experiment on.